Coordinator Financial Aid
Job Title: Coordinator, Financial Aid
Status / FLSA Status: FT / Exempt
Classification: Professional Support
Department: Student Services
Reports To: Director, Financial Aid
Location: Macomb Campus
Date Updated: July 2022
Salary Range: $37,000.00 to $37,000.00 Annually
The Financial Aid Coordinator assists the Director in the administering of federal, state, institutional, and private student aid funds for Spoon River College.
1. Assists with the identification of source and amounts of funding for Spoon River College students.
2. Assists with the preparation of applications and reports required by the State of Illinois and the Federal government.
3. Coordinates billing for State aid programs, including State Veterans Programs.
4. Provides information to the SRC District regarding the availability of financial aid assistance.
5. Provides leadership in the management of financial aid activities.
6. Completes needs analysis and standards of progress.
7. Assists in the calculation of Pell, SEOG, FWS and student loans.
8. Coordinates processing of Pell Grant awards exceeding 100%.
9. Coordinates processing of Summer awards in administrative system and final review of aid for release to Student Accounts.
10. Prepares and distributes third-party billings with external agencies, Student Accounts and the Bookstore.
11. Records and allocates external scholarship funds to appropriate students account(s).
12. Assists with the preparation of student file information for all audits.
13. Coordinates default prevention activities.
14. Maintains the Office systems, procedures and production schedules.
15. Completes computation, disbursement, and record-keeping, necessary for student financial assistance.
16. Maintains student financial aid shared files.
17. Assists with the annual FISAP, State Financial Aid Survey and other surveys as needed for submission.
18. Assists with the maintenance of financial aid documents.
19. Conducts Financial Literacy Sessions throughout the four sites of Spoon River College.
20. Provides financial aid assistance throughout the four sites of Spoon River College.
21. Assists students and family members with Title IV aid applications.
22. Serves as an alternate to the Financial Aid Director for sending and receiving electronic PELL grant information and student loan information using the computer information systems programs.
23. Assistance with and attendance at commencement is required annually or at a minimum on a pre-approved scheduled basis.
24. Represents the College on professional boards and committees as needed.
25. Serves in the Director capacity in the absence of the Financial Aid Director.
26. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This position may supervise student employees.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. A bachelor's degree in a related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
2. Two years of financial aid or related experience is preferred. Related experience in a community college setting is preferred.
3. Knowledge and working skills of computerized financial aid system is preferred.
4. Must possess a demonstrated track record of superior customer service.
5. Must possess the ability to assist, influence and work with diverse dynamic student population.
6. Must possess the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
7. Experience with Microsoft applications and personal computer skills are required with the ability to learn the Spoon River College information system and new programs as technology changes.
8. Must possess a high level of confidentiality and accuracy. Must possess the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities; deal with conflict appropriately; withstand pressure, and remain calm in tense situations. Must possess problem solving skills; flexibility, dependability, and responsibility. Must possess the ability to work in a team-centered environment and demonstrate a positive attitude.
9. Must possess organizational abilities, superior interpersonal skills and client service skills, and verbal and written communication skills with the ability to speak before groups.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Physical demands for this position include the ability to regularly sit, use hands and fingers, talk and hear. This position requires limited standing, walking, reaching, stooping/kneeling. Vision requirements for this position include close vision including the ability to view text from a computer monitor.
Work environment for this position includes typical office environment with no extremes in temperature, noise, and limited physical risk.
Education: Bachelors Degree